Friday, March 11, 2011

Joseph's Skein... (Working Title)





So in my last post I said that I was going to spin up the remaining roving from the sample variegated yarn I made last weekend ... and that's just what I'm doing.

Here's what I have so far. I'm spinning a similar length of each roving (one arm's length), the purples are staying in order as they repeat, but the other colors aren't quite as planned, I'm picking them as I go.

I plan to spin until I run out of one of the purples, then 2-ply from my center-pull ball.

I'm calling this Joseph's Skein right now because of all the many colors:)

Meanwhile, I've just learned that there is a spin along going on in my backstrap weaving group on Ravelry! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm on Ravelry:) Hit me up, I'm Illigator.

I'm super excited about this spin along, even though I haven't said "hi" to the group yet... I'm planning to right after I post this!

The reason I'm so excited is because I love backstrap weaving ... even though I haven't done much of it. You see, over last year's summer, I learned to weave using a backstrap loom. It was quite a project for me, making the loom and then weaving a backstrap as my first project (thanks Laverne!). And then I decided to take another step in the creative process and actually spin yarn for my weaving projects...but that meant I had to learn to spin. And so, I put down the loom and picked up a spindle and some fiber and focused on nothing but spinning for three months.

It paid off! I was able to complete two projects from my own spindle spun yarns for Christmas. The neck-warmer/cowl thingy from Abby Franquemont's Respect the Spindle for my Mom, and my first attempt at something other than a warp-faced weave on a backstrap, a scarf for my sister.

So to find a group of people spinning for backstrap weaving and talking about it is a wonderful surprise! It's a good thing I read Laverne's blog every week or I would have never known! (I've been so busy with spinning and the blog and the Etsy store to check into Ravelry very often...guess that'll be changing!)

Anyway, I'll leave you with this for the evening...

April 2nd is the scheduled date for my cellulose dyeing class, and I'm counting down the days. Anyone in Tucson want to join me at Grandma's Spinning Wheel for this much-anticipated event?

No comments:

Post a Comment